Have you ever heard of The Uniform Project? It was started back in 2009 by Sheena as a way to challenge herself and raise money for underprivileged children in India. The object of this project was for Sheena to wear the exact same LBD every day for a full year. The challenging portion of this was for her to style the dress differently everyday. Well, her project turned out to be wildly successful and as a result she raised over $100k and inspired countless others to try the same thing. One of those other people is Miss Elaini of Miss Elaini Ous'. I actually discovered her blog first and then found out about Sheena. Miss Elaini did a similar fundraiser by wearing 1 LBD for 100 days and also donating the money to underprivileged children in India. You are probably wondering where this is going and what this has to do with us adopting. If you know me pretty well you probably are not wondering and have a pretty good idea about what I am about to say.
I want to take this project on with my own spin on it. When I first read about these projects over a year ago I kept thinking how awesome it would be to do something like that but I didn't have any benefiting reason to do it other than to challenge my creativity so I put it on the back burner. It wasn't until earlier today when I read Miss Elaini's lastest blog post that I remembered how cool I thought this was again and realized I now have a great cause to do this for. Our adoption!
Like I said this will have my own spin on it. So here are the details I have come up with so far.
- I will be wearing 1 dress a month for 12 months and end up with 12 different dresses.
- Each month the dress will be a different color/print/texture/fabric but the same basic pattern.
- I will be making each of the dresses. Since I am trying to raise money I am not shelling out money each month on a pre-made dress when I have over 600 yards of fabric in my stash. That's just silly!
- I will be styling each dress differently every day with other clothing and accessories I already own plus anything new that I make or that is donated to me for this cause.
- At the end of each month I will be auctioning off that months dress.